Join me as I journey through the Bible cover-to-cover and record the insights that I gain while doing so-

Would love for you all to follow along!

Friday, January 7, 2011

Genesis 1- The Power of God's Word; The Trust He Has Enplaced in Man

The truth is that I feel slightly overwhelmed by typing all of this out, so I might have to split it up into smaller sections, and I'm not quite sure about the style or formatting etc. that is best, but I want to make my first entry so I can check it off my list, and I Trust everything else will evolve over time from there!! So here goes!:

Gen 1:  How many times have I read Genesis 1 in my life? Too many to count. And actually that applies for the entire Creation story.

But Always what Stands out to me about Genesis 1 is this:

1. The Power of the Word of God. Over and over and over again we read "God said... and it was so.. and he saw that it was good." God's WORD is So Powerful- True, Honest, Pure, Faithful, That All He has to do is Speak Something and it Brings it into Being! And not Only does it bring it into being, but it is GOOD. And just look at the Earth and Everything we have.. Good is an Understatement.

  • What I draw from that insight personally is that I want the Power of MY Word to be even some small semblance of That. And I think that starts simply by meaning what we say and then bringing it into fruition in accordance with what we've said. 
God says "Let there be light: and there was light, and God saw that it was good." God says "Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters and let it divide the waters from the waters." And God makes the firmament, and divides the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above it, "and it was so."  There seems to be a distinction between what God can Speak and bring into being Just through the Power of His word Alone, and what God Speaks and then WORKS to FULFILL and bring into being on His own. But what is the same in both instances is that What God Speaks Happens. That is wherein His Power lies.
Obviously, we are imperfect beings living in an imperfect world where we can follow the pattern God has Given in Giving our Word Similar Power on our own and Not Always have it come to fruition the way we'd like. But I think when we say something and then plans get changed, or whatever, it is important to communicate that with our Word.. to be as Honest as Is Possible, especially when things change.  
    The Step Beyond That is to Strive to be unchanging from the beginning. To Strive to be Able to Fulfill Everything we Speak from the Time we Speak or else Not to Say it at All. This is a process, and maybe within our fallen earthen life it could Never Be Completely Perfect. But I do Believe there is Power in Striving for it and Doing the Best we can to get there. And I do believe we can become Perfect in it in the things we do have control over. Doing So Will Prepare us for a Time when earthly restraints and limitations are No longer in the way, and Then we will be That much more Advanced and Ready for it when the time comes. 

    What stands out to me particularly when reading the chapter This time around is this:

    The Power that God has entrusted to man in Giving him dominion over All his other creations.
    26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
     27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
     28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
    It Strikes me in Such a way that I'm not Even sure how to Get it out into words. That is a Huge Trust to enplace in us.

    And I think the lesson for me in that is a few things:

    1. Our potential as sons and daughters of God; Beings created in his own image or 'likeness', is So Great. God's knowledge of That enables Him to Place Such Trust in us. Which then makes me wonder, how many times have we betrayed that trust? And not taken care of All he's given us dominion over and Created for OUR benefit with the Respect and Reverence and Regard for it we should?

    2. Our Responsibility to Live in Respect and Reverence towards and be accountable for our treatment of Every thing in which we have had that Trust placed in us.

    How many of us betray that "likeness" of God that is in us for the "likeness" of our own will and image instead? How many of us forget that the Same God that Created us Created All Other Living and Natural things with which we Share this world? I think if we think of Things That way our perspective and thus our attitude towards the Things around us shifts. We feel Reverence Surrounding us in animal life, plant life, even in the rocks which have No life but Still Share that Same piece of Creator that we do. We are All the Same Seems to be God's lesson to us Even in the Beginning of the Beginning... why do we allow earthly influences to shard that away from us?

    -And that, my friends, is Genesis 1. What are your thoughts?

    (First post Completed! *woot! woot!*)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment